Kindness is often a rarity these days and usually quite a surprise for most of us. Recently I worked on a Pay-It-Forward project with a group of people where we went out into the city (NYC) and gave out free hand sanitizer and tissues. I was shocked at how many people were receptive and also how many weren’t. Some people gave me strange looks and others were surprised to see that this was just a random act of kindness without asking for anything in return.
But that’s how it is isn’t it? We are constantly living in this bubble where we guard ourselves from reaching out to others or making a simple human connection like saying hello. People are so judgmental and quick to assume when in reality sometimes we really just need to give people a chance. Often we think that everyone wants something from us, but what if that isn’t the case? Give kindness a chance and do something good for someone else with no strings attached. No matter what the outcome is, at least you know did something right in the world and that’s all that matters. Everyone has their own stories and battles. See what the person can teach you about yourself and put your judgments aside even for just a moment.
Here are some ideas of random acts of kindness to get you started:
1. Offer to help one of your friend’s with an issue he/she has been struggling with. I.e. organizing their closets or go to the gym together.
2. Smile at someone. 🙂 Smiles can really help brighten someone’s day.
3. Listen. You’d be surprised at how many people feel like they don’t have anyone to listen to them.
4. Bake cookies and give some to your neighbor. (my neighbor did that and it was such a great and yummy surprise!)
5. Volunteer at a local organization or go out with a group of friends and give out sandwiches to homeless people in your city.
Don’t be afraid to make a difference in the world. We all need a little kindness in our lives.